Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:06:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbie packages

> >         At this point this almost sounds like it'd be easier to add to
> > each port's description.... If the user is going to have to to through the
> > trouble of reading each of these that'd be easier. I still think as
> > "suggested" list is the better track, heck even both would be a good idea.
>
> But at last count there were 4004 packages! I don't want to get this
> document too involved, only a few packages in each area, and just a
> couple of comments for them. What I am trying to avoid is spending hours
> going through all of the package descriptions during installation.

	I agree.... there is no reason in a million years to do this for
every single package. Lets do this then: Each person write a list of the 5
programs they think a "newbie who's looking at a command prompt for the
first time will need." Make a 2nd list with 5 more programs that build
upon that, then possibly a third list.

	1st list - Newbie Friendly

	Pine/Pico <-Editing files of course and mailing capabilities.
	Postfix <- Only because it's easier to configure for a newbie
	XFree86 <- Most people from a Windows world feel most comfortable
there. The only problem we'd have at this point is which Windows
manager. :) Though I'd suggest FVM or one of the "Windows 95" GUIs
	Apache <- Again very basic setup info
	Sound programs....?

	Hmm... now that I'm looking at it this needs to be broken down
further to workstation/dedicated server/combo. :( But we don't want to
over whealm the newbie with too much.

						Rick