Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:17:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@xtdl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MX records

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Stephen A. Derdau wrote:

> My question deals with email to a domain that we do virtual hosting for.
> We have the domain name pointing to us however the email part of this
> will be pointing do another server at another company.
>
> If someone could tell me what files I should look into to point any emails
> that may come to this domain to the proper servers?
>
> The person asking me to change this gave me two domains and ip numbers
> to where the info should be forwarded to.

For customer.com
----------------

@  IN SOA .... (  ... )
   IN MX 10  mx1.othersite.com.
   IN MX 20  mx2.othersite.com.
   IN MX 100 mail.othersitesprovider.net.

*  IN MX 10  mx1.othersite.com.
   IN MX 20  mx2.othersite.com.
   IN MX 100 mail.othersitesprovider.net.

www IN A 1.2.3.4
------------------

Since you don't want to handle the mail yourself, you should just point
it at the remote system which handles it, but check (test?) that the
remote system really *does* handle the mail, and does not return it with
'local configuration error - mail loops back to me'.
The MX records define the names of the machines which handle the mail for
the domain, and those machines can be any machine on the Internet, not
just those which are under your control.

This has nothing at all to do with FreeBSD, by the way, it has to do with
BIND, which is run on virtually all Unix systems which server DNS.

> WE are running Freebsd doing uname -v I get.
> FreeBsd 2.1.0-Release # 0.....which may of had modifications to it
> 	from the last administrator regarding updates.

You really should upgrade to 2.1.7.1 as soon as you can, but by the same
token, you'll probably want to get used to the system a bit more first.

Danny