Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:05:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Presence <presence@irev.net>
To:        Intuitive Design Archiving Service <archive@in-design.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Raid Controllers

 We run a DPT SmartRaid IV card connected to 4 IBM 10,000 RPM 9 Gig
drives.  It holds our MySQL database of around 30 million records (one of
the tables is 600M in size...) and the whole system flies.  I've pulled
out and pushed in drives while FreeBSD and MySQL were ticking and there
wasn't any problems at all.  We installed 16 megs of ram onto the DPT
board, which was about $1,500 from some place on http://pricewatch.com/ .

 I simply used the DPT lines in LINT into our kernel, recompiled, and used
DPT's software to create the RAID partition.  Now we have a partition
called /raid that is 27 gigs total of RAID-5 protection.

 The only catch to this is that the SCSI connection is only at 40
Megs/second verses the nifty 80 that the drives *could* do.

 However, the DPT card has like a dozen LEDs that all blink and jive, so I
think that makes up for the shortcoming.