Date:      26 Feb 2001 18:29:53 +0300
From:      Ilya Martynov <m_ilya@agava.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/dsp problems with "play" (usr/ports/audio/play), but not with wavplay (usr/ports/audio/wavplay)

    BT> Hi guys,
    BT> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Gregory Bond wrote:

    >> > I've got a weird little problem... trying to play wavefiles via
    >> > 'play' (usr/ports/audio/play) results in the following (SB Live):
    >> >
    >> > play: /dev/dsp: Invalid argument
    >>

    >> Hmm, I'm tracking down a similar problem with waveplay
    >> (/usr/ports/audio/ waveplay).  The first time this is run after a
    >> reboot is OK, but from then on it will not work - it gets the same
    >> error (doing a SOUND_PCM_WRITE_CHANNELS ioctl).

    BT> I have a problem which may be related - if I use splay or
    BT> xanim, it usually works the first time, but trying it more
    BT> than once during a single login usually results in

    BT> 	/dev/dsp already in use

    BT> But it's not..  :-) I thought at first something with my sound
    BT> was screwed up, but xmcd still works, but anything going
    BT> through dsp fails (splay, xanim, gqmpeg etc).

I've also seen this (or something simular). I've sent bug report to
freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG some time ago.

If anybody intersted I'll repeat it here:

=========>my email to freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG here>======

I've seen twice my Aureal Vortex 8810 card stops working after several
days of uptime. Both times I've seen it after having XMMS playing mp3
files from NFS share for several days (my PC at work always up and I'm
listen misic via headphones - so I often leave XMMS playing for
several days). XMMS plays mp3s via esd. So I belive sound stop working
if sound device /dev/dsp is keeped opened for several days.

Applications that use sound occasionally find that /dev/dsp is busy.

For example:
$ esd
/dev/dsp: Device busy

I'm sure that nobody holds this device opened - I've checked it with
lsof.

/dev/dsp0.2, /dev/dsp0.3, /dev/dsp0.4 also are busy.

The only solution I know is reboot.

Last time I don't use esound from XMMS and I've not seen this problem
anymore.

--
Ilya Martynov
AGAVA Software Company, http://www.agava.com