Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:29:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      Tony Jago <tony@fit.qut.edu.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in NFS

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Bruce Evans wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 16:58:09 +1000
> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org, tony@fit.qut.edu.au
> Subject: Re: Bug in NFS
>
> > Hi there, I think I have found a bug in the 2.2-current nfs code. I am
> > exporting the /dev directory to a client but it seem that the minor
> > number of the devices are changed across the nfs mount.
>
> > On the server:
> >  brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00010002 Jun 19 00:32 /dev/wd0
>
> > On the client:
> >  brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,   2 Jun 19 00:32 /dev/wd0
>
> NFS only supports 16-bit device numbers so it can't possibly preserve
> 32-bit device numbers if the high bits are actually used.  This is the
> problem here.  More fundamentally, device numbers aren't portable across
> OS's, so they shouldn't be exported.
>
> Bruce

  Bruce, I am of course using the same OS on each machine. Actually I am
  using the wonderfull FreeBSD netboot system to build a diskless client
  system. Since I have no local UFS filesystems its really hard to get a
  working /dev directory. The machine still have a hard drive and I would
  like to put some swap space on it. Hope this makes things clearer.

---
Tony Jago, System Administrator,    E-Mail: T.Jago@fit.qut.edu.au
Faculty of Information Technology,  Web: http://www.fit.qut.edu.au/staff/~tony
Queensland University of Technology.
Box 2434, Brisbane 4001, AUSTRALIA.              "We need more horsepower!"
Phone: +61 7 3864-2573 Fax: +61 7 3864-1959