Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:16:19 -0800
From:      Chris Browning <cbrown@aracnet.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reinventing vs copying

> nothing, we sometimes do.  In some cases the internals of the systems
> differ so greatly that what works for one won't for the other.  For example,
> Terry posted a rather detailed discussion of another OS's method for handling
> INTs, and how it would resolve the "missing INT" problem of the IO APIC.
> But the methods used are so far from the FreeBSD kernel as to be unusable
> for us.  More than anything it is just that we don't run in those circles.

Are you guys still working on the "missing INT" problem?  Anyone have a
quick
2 line summary of the problem?

> >  Is it that the information is not available, or has it
> > been the experience that the other systems don't really solve the
> > problems that are showing up?
>
> I don't have access to info about systems like NT or Solaris.
> I've done a little looking at Linux code in the past.  I suppose I
> should grab a complete Linux SMP kernel, anyone know what the definative
> version would be?

Yes.  SMP support for Linux is now in the standard distribution and
source tree.  Any
of the 2.0 versions of Linux will have the SMP source.  I am running the
SMP version of
Linux on some of my systems.  If you would like me to try some things or
send you some
info, let me know.

> Another important thing to realize is that this project is more or less run by
> anarchy!  If you see a better way of getting things done SPEAK UP.
> We need testers.  We need coders.  We need researchers.  We need to get
> more people involved if this project is going to go anywhere!!!

Steve, one recommendation.  Could you or someone provide some basic
level details of how
to get SMP running on FreeBSD.  In addition could you explain how to use
the CVT
to get source update and such.  This might help people like me that are
new to this
kinda stuff but might like to help out.  I think you gave me an URL one
time, so if
all the information is explain well there, please ignore this.

Chris