Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2018 21:35:35 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: head -r333897 (usefdt and old PowerMac) questions

On 2018-May-19, at 21:27, Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd at yahoo.com> =
wrote:

> On 2018-May-19, at 9:14 PM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at =
freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> You need to wait for one more patch. With that, usefdt=3D1 is =
confirmed working on PowerMac 11,2 (like the quad core). You must use =
vt, not sc, but everything should work out of the box once that patch is =
in. The only caveat is that bge0 and bge1 may swap numbers.
>> -Nathan
>=20
> Good to know. Thanks.
>=20
> "You must use vt, not sc": does this mean changing to not
> include sc in the kernel at all? Or will /boot/loader.conf
> having:
>=20
> kern.vty=3Dvt
>=20
> be enough despite sc also being present?
> . . .

Just an FYI about my from-source builds based on =
devel/powerpc64-xtoolchain-gcc
and the reverted-to-before /usr/src/sys/powerpc/include/vmparam.h =
-r334498 .
With the recent activity I jumped from -r340287 to -r341766 . It booted =
fine as
smp.

I tried booting with "set usefdt=3D1" and the ethernet connection moved =
the other plugin position. It booted fine as smp. That was with
/boot/loader.conf having:

kern.vty=3Dsc

(At the time I did not remember this note of yours or which way kern.vty =
was
set.)

However I've not used X11 or such in years, just the console and ssh =
sessions.

Since I do not know what was supposed to be wrong if sc was used, all
I can say is that I do not appear to have run into it so far.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went