Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 13:54:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Triton-II chipset support?

Stefan Esser wrote:
> On Apr 12, 17:28, Bob Willcox wrote:
> } Subject: Triton-II chipset support?
> } Does FreeBSD -current and/or -stable support the Triton-II chipset?
> } I have a fileserver that I would truly like to upgrade to a
> } motherboard with the Triton-II chipset so that I can use parity/ECC
> } memory in it.  I plan to give this a try sometime this weekend (on
> } a test system :-)) but was wondering what experiences others may
> } have had.
>
> Is the Triton II finally out ?

Yes, I picked up a motherboard last Friday.

> Last I heard, there were boards
> announced, but none sold ...
>
> Anyway, I expect FreeBSD to work
> just fine with the Triton II.
>
> The BIOS has to do all the setup
> (and the kernel doesn't bother to
> mess around with those settings),
> so no patches ought to be required.

I have installed the MB in my -current system and it seems to be
running fine.  I do get different some boot messages:

New MB:
chip0 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=1250 subclass=0)> rev 1 on pci0:0
chip1 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=7000 subclass=1)> rev 0 on pci0:7
pci0:7: Intel Corporation, device=0x7010, class=storage (ide) [no driver assigned]

    vs.

Old MB:
chip0 <Intel 82437 (Triton) PCI cache memory controller> rev 2 on pci0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371 (Triton) PCI-ISA bridge> rev 2 on pci0:7
pci0:7: Intel Corporation, device=0x1230, class=storage (ide) [no driver assigned]

> If you find any problems, then let
> me know and I'll look into this ...

None so far.  My plans, however, are to eventually install this MB
in my fileserver system which is running 2.1-stable.  Hopefully it
will work ok there as well.

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox