Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:26:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        fewtch@serv.net, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies - "Handle me with care?"

>Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 02:22:24 -0700
>From: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>

>It's funny how Sue Blake and I have diametrically opposed philosophies
>regarding how newbies should deal with BSD:

I think it's a false dichotomy.

Folks who are experimenting or tinkering for its own sake should
certainly feel free to do anything they want to/with their systems --
but if they're to do anything more useful than dabbling with Legos or
making sand-castles, it would be appropriate for them to learn about the
systems somewhat first.  A good way to do this is by reading the
documentation that's available -- in the case of FreeBSD, both
FreeBSD-specific stuff as well as more generic *BSD- (& UNIX-) related
things (the O'Reilly books, for example).  Oh, yeah -- in the specific
case of FreeBSD, it is becoming apparent to me that intimate knowledge
of PC hardware esoterica is useful, and there are chunks of
documentation that tend to assume that one has some familiarity with
Microsoft environments (presumably for reasons, though these elude me).

Folks who are building systems that will be used by others to do useful
or important work should be a bit more methodical -- as should folks who
actually hope to learn something from what they experience.

Please note that one reason for learning about the experiences of others
is so one may manage to avoid repeating others' mistakes.  (Of course,
if someone is bound and determined to make a mistake that someone else
made & documented, perhaps just because said person wants to experience
the mistake first-hand... well, fine, I guess... but the degree to which
I'd be interested in helping a person with such a perverse desire is
quite minimal.)

This distinction isn't between (FreeBSD) "newbies" and others; further,
I state (yet again) that "newbies" aren't necessarily all:

* Already familiar with Microsoft environments

* Already familiar with PC hardware

* Clueless about UNIX (or other multi-user systems).

Different folks have different backgrounds, strengths, and weaknesses.

I would *think* that the sole "requirement" to be considered an
appropriate target (hmmmm...) for a list called "freebsd-newbies" would
be lack of familiarity with the FreeBSD variant of UNIX (or an interest
in the trials & tribulations of those who are thus deprived of
experience).  I'm certainly willing to be convinced otherwise.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621