Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:54:17 +0100
From:      Florian Walpen <dev@submerge.ch>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD port ALSA to JACK MIDI, a2jmidid

Sorry for the delay.

On Saturday, February 12, 2022 2:07:03 PM CET Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 2/12/22 12:52, Florian Walpen wrote:
> > Does it have an impact on usability or latency (or latency correction)?
>
> No, jack is already slow, so no implications here.

That's probably due to jack processing in cycles, but I'd have to verify.
Unfortunately I can't measure MIDI latency right now, have to get some cables
from the practice room next week.

I suppose MIDI messages are sent out-of-band for USB devices? Thus not being
subject to the OSS queuing delays? I'm not sure yet how jack and clients deal
with the different latency.

> My idea is to have one MIDI server (ALSA based) to allow the same MIDI
> device to be shared by multiple devices. Also applications can create
> virtual ports. Yeah, MIDI is a bit complicated. Too many APIs.

I gave it a test run, and both bridging and device detection seem to be fine.
Nice work there!

One thing I noticed was that our hardware MIDI ports are detected as software
ports by a2jmidid. Or at least they were bridged, even though a2jmidid
excludes hardware ports by default. Intentional?
This may confuse some client applications, if they rely on this distinction.

On a side note, there's also an ALSA sequencer MIDI backend in jack, but it's
tied to the ALSA driver and not available when choosing the OSS driver. So we
can't use that instead of a2jmidid. BTW the ALSA option of our jack port is
off by default.

But all in all this looks like a promising approach.

Regards,

Florian