Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:54:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Mark Segal <mark@club-web.com>
Cc:        marcin@v-m.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WWW Search Engine

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Mark Segal wrote:

> Marcin Pasek wrote:
> >
> > One of my costumers want's to run his own WWW search engine just like (
> > Yahoo, or infoseek...he want's to focus just on one topic and not on
> > indexing the WWW. Are there any good products out there ready to use out
> > of the box?
> >
> > Marcin

> Personally i found glimpse.. a neat indexer.. but i did have to write a
> script that parses the info.. :).. not really out of the box.. but neat
> nonetheless.

You might need a licensing agreement for glimpse though, even if you're
not reselling it.  You should check the glimpse web pages for that, since
nowhere in the glimpse tar file does it mention the licensing restrictions
that are discussed on the web site.  I know that as an ISP, we can't use
glimpse to index customers web pages, since that is a commercial use,
according to the professor that I talked to who's in charge of the
licensing.