Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 09:10:39 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au, terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
Subject:   Re: Install issues (was: State of the union speech

>> Is there any mechanism by which it is possible to get FreeBSD (-current or
>> otherwise) onto a WD1007 controlled drive ?

>Yes.  It involves jumpers W8 and W14 away from the factory defaults,

Are there different jumpers on different WD1007's?  For the WD1007V-SE*,
W8 controls the BIOS address and W14 doesn't exist, and I think the key
settings are W1:J5-6 unjumpered (enable translation: factory default)
and possibly W1:J11-12 unjumpered (no alternate sector: factory default)
and possibly required but probably irrelevant W1:J9-10 jumpered (force
35 sectors/track for 10Mb/sec drives: NOT factory default).

>downloading a format utility from ftp.wdc.com, and low level formatting
>the drive (reinstalling everything later).

For the WD1007V-SE*, there is a formatting utility in the BIOS ROM, and
it works better than the format utility.  Low level reformatting should
only be necessary if you change the hardware number of sectors/track.

Bruce