Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:29:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Red River of the North update.

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Zach Heilig wrote:

> We are recovering quite nicely from the storm last weekend, those workers from
> the various power cooperatives (probably close to 1000 workers total)
> basically have most of the close to 10,000 broken poles and the several
> hundred major power structures [mostly metal towers for high voltage lines]
> replaced, and very few people are still without power.

A few years back, the network I used to manage was offline after a
lightning strike forged the main campus transformer into a low-resistance
hunk of metal and as a result the campus power was off for 30 hours
straight. When the power came back, the FreeBSD mailserver was hit *hard*
with incoming mail, and it handled it (it was fun to watch the maillog
blaze by :-)!  [In context, I remember working on Cybers, Apollos, old
Suns, and MicroVAXes so well that I still can't help but be impressed by
FreeBSD on a 25MHz 386]

Guy Helmer, Computer Science Grad Student, Iowa State - ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer