Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:36:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@quest.shoal.net.au>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Did I get dropped from the list?

> Do you have as much trouble understanding man pages as I do? They make a bit
> of sense once the material is familiar, but for learning how to do something
> new it's pretty hard to work out. You need to be able to take a few concise
> hints and extrapolate from there to discover how to make use of the info.
>
> Is that how it seems to you or not? Have you ever seen anything that helps
> people understand and use man pages in general?

Generally, until I became more familiar with FreeBSD and unix in general I
struggled a lot with the man pages. The online tutorials are good when you
can find them. The FreeBSD handbook I also found good. Once I read a bit
and got a bit of an overview of what particular commands did then the man
pages fell into place a bit.

The man pages are less of a learning tool and more of a reference tool
(suitable for one with a working knowledge eg: workshop manual for
mechanic). However at some stage you have to sit down in front of them,
put your thinking cap on and jump to some conclusions (not always correct
ones :-) )

Andrew Perry