Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 1996 06:27:40 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: review request

>> There should be no `.sample' files in /etc.

>Where do you suggest sticking etc 'example' files then?  I'm thinking of

The same place as rc.sample (/dev/null).  We have a /usr/share/examples/etc,
but no one seems to look in there.  It contains only 3 files, the largest
of which is a completely out of date README.

>files (pccard.conf.example) that shouldn't (yet) be installed unless the
>user explicitly installs them, since they are system specific
>(IRQ/IOMEM/etc) but shouldn't require the user to install the source
>dist. to get at them.

Perhaps they should go in /etc.sample (in / because they are machine-
dependent and you might want them before mounting /usr).

Some other things in /usr/src/share/examples could be handled better.
I changed the Makefile to make sure that everything is installed (in case
the user doesn't install the source dist.), but it makes no sense to
install examples of sources.  OTOH, sources are a bit hard to get to in
/usr/src/share/examples.

Bruce