Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 15:15:48 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/sysinstall disks.c

As David Nugent wrote:

(OS/2's fdisk)

> I consider not being able to edit the "paritition table" a feature. :-)

Well, i think Winlose .95 is the worst sucker here.  IIRC, it deletes
the BSD bootstrap without a whisper, and without asking or telling
you.

I'm currently writing up a FAQ entry, and will put a general warning
there about the things you should be aware of with a DD disk.  I think
OS/2 marks the one end, Win.95 the other (worst) end.

> OTOH, DOS fdisk will quite happily work with it, so at least it can
> rewrite the table so that the OS/2  fdisk will then work. This is
> the only way to you can reuse a previously dd'ed disk for OS/2 (other
> than a low level format or "dd if=/dev/zero" directly over the boot
> blocks of course).

fdisk /mbr doesn't work?  I thought it would.

--
cheers, J"org