Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 09:35:53 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, imb@scgt.oz.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
Subject:   Re: Install issues (was: State of the union speech

>> >Is there any mechanism by which it is possible to get FreeBSD (-current or
>> >otherwise) onto a WD1007 controlled drive ?
>>
>> It should work to just enable translation in the controller.  There are
>> certainly some jumper settings that work.

>DISABLE perfect media, DISABLE translation, relow-loevel-format.

This sounds like a trial and error solution to me, and a lot of work.
Simply disabling alternate sectors (is perfect media the opposite of
that?) should work provided you get everything to agree about the new
geometry, but it should be tried last because it creates work.  Enabling
translation must work if translation works (it certainly works for the
WD1007V-SE*) and is supported by all drivers, by the definition of
translation.  The FreeBSD wd driver supports it by issuing a "set
parameters" command.  This should override the bogus default translation
iff translation is enabled (*).  All wd drivers that I've looked at
issue a "set parameters" command.  It's part of the ATA ([E]IDE) spec.

(*) Translated mode will have too many cylinders.  Be careful not to use
the nonexistent cylinders.  Use whatever geometry worked in old versions
of FreeBSD with the same jumper settings.

Bruce