Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:29:14 +0100
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@kernel.org>,  Stanislav Silnicki <stanislav.silnicki@mailgate.us>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org,  Michal.Orzel@amd.com, xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org, Artem_Mygaiev@epam.com
Subject:   Re: How to boot FreeBSD for arm 32 bit as DomU with u-boot on my ARM Chromebook
References:  <CA%2B1FSiit5NJ_W7f5mssivkGGLevXh_XmSB7ZxZbQe1dgev0_Pg@mail.gmail.com> <97aa980b9b44.6eb7f9d5c54e7@mailgate.us> <CA%2B1FSiheSwrO7Tz3F3Nmu4vcC2E=ONRX8nF3bhQGV0UDOFTrww@mail.gmail.com> <da024d1687f3a.2f0c601bba502@mailgate.us> <CA%2B1FSih7C0HEun99LHEwvyYRiH0PaLwwgnoQLHB69TWz2ykDZg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B1FSijoPkRZRaU6tujaMJZeFd3CSyUN%2Bh4y0_NrrB5VWLgwpA@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B1FSiib3uu9Ky8N5rSSt%2BH1nfzUnChKhGs2ERWmsbp2T4=2uA@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B1FSihtb3%2Bbm-pSqa7JGBjy3JUXYD6i0c6J2KHy%2BEO8rmZ5PA@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.DEB.2.22.394.2312191131290.3175268@ubuntu-linux-20-04-desktop> <CA%2B1FSigh=fc07o-RSMZ%2Bhf9-YBUudAwnGcN9k8bP1RnPBP7tRA@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfpRJxJw2_ma0cCcoGGmAat4KVj5sOfdnGMR9w%2BOQCYxaQ@mail.gmail.com>

--000000000000e38930060cf1d01d

Hello.

@Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> : thanks for your help with the
virtualization of FreeBSD with qemu,but I have already achieved this goal.
The image file that I'm using (FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-armv7.img,raw,xvda) is
already able to boot with qemu-kvm on my ARM Chromebook. We have also fixed
the virtio-net driver bug on the FreeBSD forum,on this post started by me :

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/im-trying-to-virtualize-freebsd-13-2-for=
-armv7-on-my-arm-chromebook-armhf-with-qemu-kvm.89965/

Booting FreeBSD as domU using Xen instead of qemu-kvm is another story.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 5:52=E2=80=AFAM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> I'd think you'd need the right virtualization loader. I'm not entirely
> sure the u-boot.bin you've been creating is for a dom-u..
> If I misunderstood, then the below isn't good advice. Chain booting the
> u-boot, the first u-boot initializes things so you want
> to start with stage after the SPL. But the different error messages
> suggest that it's trying to reboot with kexec, which
> isn't supported on armv7 at the moment.
>
> If you could boot in kvm, I think that the following would work....
> Though I'm not entirely sure how to
> specify the two .fd files in your setup. The use of qemu is to have an
> easy env to debug things... I don't
> have a chromebook to try...
>
> My first instinct would be to try qemu on x86 (this is the first step of
> many to get to your destination).
>
> If you could boot the GENERIC_SD image that we produce using qemu +
> edk2-arm-code.fd that would
> be a huge first step. This will give you the boot loader, I believe, to
> boot in the VM that you need better
> than going via the u-boot route. Since you are booting in a virtualized
> environment, I think it wouldn't
> matter which one :).
>
> So, I did the following to boot the virtualized armv7 FreeBSD environment=
,
> following a post on the forums I found and knew to have the right recipe:
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/run-boot-freebsd-arm-32bit-image-in-qe=
mu.80765/

> 1. pkg install qemu
> 2. mkdir qemu-armv7-env
> 3. cd qemu-armv7-env
> 4. fetch
> https://download.freebsd.org/releases/arm/armv7/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-1=
4.0-RELEASE-arm-armv7-GENERICSD.img.xz
> [...]
> 10. cat > start-freebsd-arm.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> qemu-system-arm \
>   -M virt \
>   -m 1024 \
>   -drive file=3Dpflash0.img,format=3Draw,if=3Dpflash,readonly=3Don \
>   -drive file=3Dpflash1.img,format=3Draw,if=3Dpflash \
>   -drive file=3D$1.img,if=3Dvirtio,cache=3Dwritethrough \
>   -nographic \
>   -serial mon:stdio
> ^D
> 11. chmod +x start-freebsd-arm.sh
> 12. ./start-freebsd-arm.sh FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-arm-armv7-GENERICSD
>
> But I hit a snag with this on qemu 8.1.2 and 8.1.3 with both 13.2 and 14.=
0:

> Starting devd.
> Starting dhclient.
> DHCPDISCOVER on vtnet0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
> Fatal kernel mode data abort: 'Alignment Fault' on read
> trapframe: 0xc4b36a60
> FSR=3D00000001, FAR=3Ddd96701a, spsr=3D20000013
> r0 =3D00000000, r1 =3D00000001, r2 =3D00000001, r3 =3Dc4b36b4c
> r4 =3D00000014, r5 =3Dd6618800, r6 =3Ddd96702e, r7 =3D0000022c
> r8 =3D00000000, r9 =3D0000022c, r10=3Ddd96701a, r11=3Dc4b36b90
> r12=3D4300ffff, ssp=3Dc4b36af0, slr=3Dc04a9728, pc =3Dc04a9750
>
> panic: Fatal abort
> cpuid =3D 0
> time =3D 1680843057
> KDB: stack backtrace:
> #0 0xc035786c at kdb_backtrace+0x48
> #1 0xc02fdd20 at vpanic+0x140
> #2 0xc02fdbe0 at vpanic+0
> #3 0xc06304ac at abort_align+0
> #4 0xc063052c at abort_align+0x80
> #5 0xc063017c at abort_handler+0x480
> #6 0xc060f480 at exception_exit+0
> #7 0xc04a9750 at udp_input+0x288
> #8 0xc0473f54 at ip_input+0x1e0
> #9 0xc04447c0 at netisr_dispatch_src+0xf8
> #10 0xc043bf2c at ether_demux+0x1a4
> #11 0xc043d5e4 at ether_nh_input+0x480
> #12 0xc04447c0 at netisr_dispatch_src+0xf8
> #13 0xc043c404 at ether_input+0x50
> #14 0xc01c0838 at vtnet_rx_vq_process+0x880
> #15 0xc01b70d0 at vtpci_intx_intr+0xac
> #16 0xc02b87f0 at ithread_loop+0x2ec
> #17 0xc02b465c at fork_exit+0xc0
> Uptime: 19s
>
> I don't know if this is a problem with qemu or FreeBSD's kernel...
>
> Warner
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 3:25=E2=80=AFPM Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmai=
l.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've asked some help on the channel #arm on Reddit and someone replied :
>>

>> https://www.reddit.com/r/arm/comments/18mcir8/i_cant_boot_freebsd_for_ar=
m32_bit_as_domu_with/

>> Maybe his answer can be useful to understand why it does not work.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 8:33=E2=80=AFPM Stefano Stabellini <
>> sstabellini@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>>> +Michal
>>>
>>> Hi Mario,
>>>
>>> I am not sure about booting FreeBSD, but I am certain that u-boot works
>>> fine as DomU kernel on ARMv8 (not sure about ARMv7). With this config

>>> kernel=3D"u-boot.bin"
>>> extra =3D "console=3Dhvc0"
>>> memory=3D256
>>> vcpus=3D1
> [...]
>>> getting this message:
>>>
>>> xc: error: panic: xg_dom_core.c:689: xc_dom_find_loader: no loader
>>> found: Invalid kernel
>>>
>>> Means that something is not right in the u-boot configuration or u-boot
>>> build. Michal and Artem (CCed) might know more. From what I recall,
>>> there was nothing special required to get u-boot.bin to boot as domU
>>> kernel, so now I wonder if it is an ARMv7 vs. ARMv8 issue.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Stefano

>>> u-boot when I have compiled it :

>>> procedure :

>>> this line generates the file .config

>>> parameter "CONFIG_ARMV7_NONSEC=3Dn" has been removed. So,for

>>> found: Invalid kernel
>>> failed
>>> 1:cannot (re-)build domain: -3
>>> 1:Non-existent domain
>>> 1:Unable to destroy guest
>>> 1:Destruction of domain failed

>>> u-boot binary is the "u-boot binary located in the RO

>>> new version of u-boot on the partition 2,I will
>>> system in 2014,that should be installed on the first
>>> u-boot that should boot Linux and the u-boot that

>>> systems ? You can find it on my google drive :
>>> >

>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eAaZMfd6CU0xiqQfH7sq5wGVzzO09BRm/view?=
usp=3Dsharing

>>> can satisfy my needs (the ability of the file
>>> Stabellini,the xen developer that suggested to me
>>> Chromebook) ; otherwise the risk is to find later

>>> arndale_defconfig inside. So,If I have understood
>>> code,let's say here :

>>>                     net
>>>                 onenand_ipl
>>>                     post
>>>                rules.mk
>>>                      scripts
>>>                 snapshot.commit
>>>                     spl
>>>                test
>>>                tools

>>> need,u-boot.bin will be generated ?

>>> patches needed to bypass the bootloader protections
>>> boot correctly Linux) will be broken ; anyway,since

>>> compiling u-boot for
>>> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob/main/sysutils/u-boot-mast=
er/files/FreeBSD_Fragment

>>> understand what's the relation between the compilation
>>> u-boot,but I didn't have the need to set up those
>>> Linux kernel).

>>> what you mean under "the first u-boot".

>>> Linux on the ARM Chromebook,that's explained here :
>>> >

>>> http://www.virtualopensystems.com/en/solutions/guides/kvm-on-chromebook=
/

>>> hypervisor mode. Because of this relatively recent
>>> extensions), up until now all booting methods would boot the

>>> boot in hypervisor mode. Although the laptop's boot
>>> located in RO memory. Fortunately, a chained u-boot
>>> original). We can then enter hypervisor mode from our
>>> userspace.

>>> systems,that's able to chainload the "u-boot binary located in
>>> need it if we want to boot Linux with kvm or xen

>>> divided hardware into two worlds - Secure and

ture/The-System-Level-Programmers--Model/The-Virtualization-Extens
>>> prepare (configure) HW platform in the way,
>>> MPU, VA, etc.
>>> that maybe you can boot the kernel. Although, I
>>> there is simply ubldr, which you can hook somehow

>>> mode during boot and passes control to

>>> secure mode is bypassed by the virtual open
>>> second u-boot,it will happen in secure
>>> annulled ? If this is true,maybe can I boot
>>> compatible with FreeBSD ? Where can I find the

>>> https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot.git
>>> option CONFIG_CMO_BY_VA_ONLY is irrelevant to
> [...]
nv_uboot-snow-simplefb.kpart.bz2

>>> point to the partition 4.

>>> arm 32 bit,not on arm
>>> powered by a Samsung Exynos

>>> V.O.S that should be
>>> FreeBSD that should be

>>> option :

>>> how I can recompile u-boot

>> --
>> Mario.

--=20
Mario.

--000000000000e38930060cf1d01d

sreply" id=3D"plusReplyChip-0" href=3D"mailto:imp@bsdimp.com" tabindex=3D"-=
1">@Warner Losh</a> : thanks for your help with the virtualization of FreeB=
SD with qemu,but I have already achieved this goal.=C2=A0</div><div>The ima=
ge file that I&#39;m using (<span class=3D"gmail-im">FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-a=
rmv7.img,raw,xvda) </span>is already able to boot with qemu-kvm on my ARM C=
hromebook. We have also fixed the virtio-net driver bug on the FreeBSD foru=
forums.freebsd.org/threads/im-trying-to-virtualize-freebsd-13-2-for-armv7-o=
n-my-arm-chromebook-armhf-with-qemu-kvm.89965/">https://forums.freebsd.org/=
threads/im-trying-to-virtualize-freebsd-13-2-for-armv7-on-my-arm-chromebook=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Dec=
 20, 2023 at 5:52=E2=80=AFAM Warner Losh &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:imp@bsdimp.c=
" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);=
#39;d need the right virtualization loader. I&#39;m not entirely sure the u=
-boot.bin you&#39;ve been creating is for a dom-u..=C2=A0</div><div>If I mi=
sunderstood, then the below isn&#39;t good advice. Chain booting the u-boot=
, the first u-boot initializes things so you want</div><div>to start with s=
tage after the SPL. But the different error messages suggest that it&#39;s =
trying to reboot with kexec, which</div><div>isn&#39;t supported on armv7 a=
k that the following would work....=C2=A0 Though I&#39;m not entirely sure =
how to</div><div>specify the two .fd files in your setup. The use of qemu i=
s to have an easy env to debug things... I don&#39;t</div><div>have a chrom=
try qemu on x86 (this is the first step of many to get to your destination)=
roduce using qemu + edk2-arm-code.fd that would</div><div>be a huge first s=
tep. This will give you the boot loader, I believe, to boot in the VM that =
you need better</div><div>than going via the u-boot route. Since you are bo=
oting in a virtualized environment, I think it wouldn&#39;t</div><div>matte=
e virtualized armv7 FreeBSD environment, following a post on the forums I f=
ound and knew to have the right recipe:</div><div><a href=3D"https://forums=
.freebsd.org/threads/run-boot-freebsd-arm-32bit-image-in-qemu.80765/" targe=
t=3D"_blank">https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/run-boot-freebsd-arm-32bit-=
tch <a href=3D"https://download.freebsd.org/releases/arm/armv7/ISO-IMAGES/1=
4.0/FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-arm-armv7-GENERICSD.img.xz" target=3D"_blank">http=
s://download.freebsd.org/releases/arm/armv7/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-RE=
ELEASE-arm-armv7-GENERICSD.img.xz</div><div>6. dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3Dpflas=
h0.img bs=3D1m count=3D64<br>7. dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3Dpflash1.img bs=3D1m =
count=3D64<br>8. dd if=3D/usr/local/share/qemu/edk2-arm-code.fd of=3Dpflash=
0.img conv=3Dnotrunc<br>9. dd if=3D/usr/local/share/qemu/edk2-arm-vars.fd o=
f=3Dpflash1.img conv=3Dnotrunc</div><div>10. cat &gt; start-freebsd-arm.sh<=
024 \<br>=C2=A0 -drive file=3Dpflash0.img,format=3Draw,if=3Dpflash,readonly=
=3Don \<br>=C2=A0 -drive file=3Dpflash1.img,format=3Draw,if=3Dpflash \<br>=
=C2=A0 -drive file=3D$1.img,if=3Dvirtio,cache=3Dwritethrough \<br>=C2=A0 -n=
start-freebsd-arm.sh</div><div>12. ./start-freebsd-arm.sh  FreeBSD-14.0-REL=
>Starting devd.<br>Starting dhclient.<br>DHCPDISCOVER on vtnet0 to 255.255.=
255.255 port 67 interval 7<br>Fatal kernel mode data abort: &#39;Alignment =
Fault&#39; on read<br>trapframe: 0xc4b36a60<br>FSR=3D00000001, FAR=3Ddd9670=
1a, spsr=3D20000013<br>r0 =3D00000000, r1 =3D00000001, r2 =3D00000001, r3 =
=3Dc4b36b4c<br>r4 =3D00000014, r5 =3Dd6618800, r6 =3Ddd96702e, r7 =3D000002=
2c<br>r8 =3D00000000, r9 =3D0000022c, r10=3Ddd96701a, r11=3Dc4b36b90<br>r12=
=3D4300ffff, ssp=3Dc4b36af0, slr=3Dc04a9728, pc =3Dc04a9750<br><br>panic: F=
r>#0 0xc035786c at kdb_backtrace+0x48<br>#1 0xc02fdd20 at vpanic+0x140<br>#=
2 0xc02fdbe0 at vpanic+0<br>#3 0xc06304ac at abort_align+0<br>#4 0xc063052c=
 at abort_align+0x80<br>#5 0xc063017c at abort_handler+0x480<br>#6 0xc060f4=
80 at exception_exit+0<br>#7 0xc04a9750 at udp_input+0x288<br>#8 0xc0473f54=
 at ip_input+0x1e0<br>#9 0xc04447c0 at netisr_dispatch_src+0xf8<br>#10 0xc0=
43bf2c at ether_demux+0x1a4<br>#11 0xc043d5e4 at ether_nh_input+0x480<br>#1=
2 0xc04447c0 at netisr_dispatch_src+0xf8<br>#13 0xc043c404 at ether_input+0=
x50<br>#14 0xc01c0838 at vtnet_rx_vq_process+0x880<br>#15 0xc01b70d0 at vtp=
ci_intx_intr+0xac<br>#16 0xc02b87f0 at ithread_loop+0x2ec<br>#17 0xc02b465c=
tr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 3:25=E2=80=AFPM Mario Mari=
etto &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marietto2008@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">mariet=
style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);pa=
dding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>I&#39;ve asked some help on the chann=
"https://www.reddit.com/r/arm/comments/18mcir8/i_cant_boot_freebsd_for_arm3=
2_bit_as_domu_with/" target=3D"_blank">https://www.reddit.com/r/arm/comment=
=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 8:33=E2=80=AFPM Stefano Stabellini =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sstabellini@kernel.org" target=3D"_blank">sstabellini=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">+Michal<br>
Hi Mario,<br>
I am not sure about booting FreeBSD, but I am certain that u-boot works<br>
fine as DomU kernel on ARMv8 (not sure about ARMv7). With this config<br>
file:<br>
name=3D&quot;test&quot;<br>
kernel=3D&quot;u-boot.bin&quot;<br>
extra =3D &quot;console=3Dhvc0&quot;<br>
memory=3D256<br>
vcpus=3D1<br>
disk =3D [ &#39;FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-armv7.img,raw,xvda&#39; ]<br>
I don&#39;t know for sure if you can boot FreeBSD but you should definitely=
be able to see the u-boot command line prompt. The fact that you are<br>
getting this message:<br>
xc: error: panic: xg_dom_core.c:689: xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found: I=
nvalid kernel<br>
Means that something is not right in the u-boot configuration or u-boot<br>
build. Michal and Artem (CCed) might know more. From what I recall,<br>
there was nothing special required to get u-boot.bin to boot as domU<br>
kernel, so now I wonder if it is an ARMv7 vs. ARMv8 issue.<br>
Cheers,<br>
Stefano<br>
On Tue, 19 Dec 2023, Mario Marietto wrote:<br>
&gt; ....I see that some other interesting files have been produced by u-bo=
ot when I have compiled it :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; u-boot<br>
&gt; u-boot.lds<br>
&gt; u-boot.bin<br>
&gt; u-boot.map<br>
&gt; u-boot-nodtb.bin<br>
&gt; u-boot.dtb<br>
&gt; u-boot.srec<br>
&gt; u-boot-dtb.bin<br>
&gt; u-boot.sym<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So,maybe I should use a different u-boot* file for booting FreeBSD ?<b=
r>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 4:28=E2=80=AFPM Mario Marietto &lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:marietto2008@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">marietto2008@gmail.com</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Hello to everyone.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I have compiled the needed u-boot.bin from scratch using this procedur=
e :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; # git clone <a href=3D"https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot.git" rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot.git</a><br>;
&gt; # cd u-boot<br>
&gt; # ARCH=3Darm CROSS_COMPILE=3Darm-linux-gnueabihf- make snow_defconfig =
: this line generates the file .config<br>
&gt; # nano .config and I&#39;ve added these parameters :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; CONFIG_ARMV7_NONSEC=3Dn<br>
&gt; CONFIG_EFI_GRUB_ARM32_WORKAROUND=3Dy<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; the uboot-bin file is generated with this command :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; # ARCH=3Darm CROSS_COMPILE=3Darm-linux-gnueabihf- make<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; At this point,I took a look inside the .config file and I saw that the=
 parameter &quot;CONFIG_ARMV7_NONSEC=3Dn&quot; has been removed. So,for<br>
&gt; some reason,it is not accepted and this could be a problem....<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; These are the xen config files that I&#39;ve used :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; nano freebsd.cfg<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; name=3D&quot;test&quot;<br>
&gt; kernel=3D&quot;u-boot.bin&quot;<br>
&gt; extra =3D &quot;console=3Dhvc0&quot;<br>
&gt; memory=3D256<br>
&gt; vcpus=3D1<br>
&gt; disk =3D [ &#39;FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-armv7.img,raw,xvda&#39; ]<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; nano start-freebsd<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; xl create freebsd.cfg<br>
&gt; xl console freebsd<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This is what happens when I launch the vm :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; # ./start-freebsd<br>
&gt; =C2=A0<br>
&gt; Parsing config from freebsd.cfg<br>
&gt; xc: error: panic: xg_dom_core.c:689: xc_dom_find_loader: no loader fou=
nd: Invalid kernel<br>
&gt; libxl: error: libxl_dom.c:571:libxl__build_dom: xc_dom_parse_image fai=
led<br>
&gt; libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1640:domcreate_rebuild_done: Domain 1:can=
not (re-)build domain: -3<br>
&gt; libxl: error: libxl_domain.c:1183:libxl__destroy_domid: Domain 1:Non-e=
xistent domain<br>
&gt; libxl: error: libxl_domain.c:1137:domain_destroy_callback: Domain 1:Un=
able to destroy guest<br>
&gt; libxl: error: libxl_domain.c:1064:domain_destroy_cb: Domain 1:Destruct=
ion of domain failed<br>
&gt; freebsd is an invalid domain identifier (rc=3D-6)<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 12:39=E2=80=AFPM Mario Marietto &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:marietto2008@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">marietto2008@gmail.com</a=
>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0So,ok,I should have said &quot;the second u-=
boot&quot; ; since the first u-boot binary is the &quot;u-boot binary locat=
ed in the RO<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0memory&quot; of the Chromebook&quot;. Sorry =
for the confusion.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 12:35=E2=80=AFPM Mario Marietto &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:marietto2008@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">marietto2008@gmail.com</a=
>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0---&gt; There are no specific options in u-b=
oot devoted to FreeBSD<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This is an important factor. So,what about if,instead of compiling a n=
ew version of u-boot on the partition 2,I will<br>
&gt; recompile the u-boot customized version created by the virtual open sy=
stem in 2014,that should be installed on the first<br>
&gt; partition ? It could work if there are no differences between the u-bo=
ot that should boot Linux and the u-boot that<br>
&gt; should boot FreeBSD.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Can you give a look at the u-boot source code created by virtual open =
systems ? You can find it on my google drive :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eAaZMfd6CU0xiqQfH7sq5wGVzz=
O09BRm/view?usp=3Dsharing" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://dri=
ve.google.com/file/d/1eAaZMfd6CU0xiqQfH7sq5wGVzzO09BRm/view?usp=3Dsharing</=
a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I need to understand if I can recompile it without problem so that it =
can satisfy my needs (the ability of the file<br>
&gt; u-boot.bin to boot FreeBSD as domU under Xen,as explained by Stefano S=
tabellini,the xen developer that suggested to me<br>
&gt; what I could do to have FreeBSD virtualized under Xen on my Arm Chrome=
book) ; otherwise the risk is to find later<br>
&gt; problems that will make me troubles and that I will not able to fix.<b=
r>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I gave a look at the virtual open system u-boot and I didn&#39;t see a=
ny arndale_defconfig inside. So,If I have understood<br>
&gt; correctly,I should put that file inside the root of the u-boot source =
code,let&#39;s say here :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; marietto:/home/marietto/Desktop/Files/u-boot_FreeBSD/u-boot-vos # ls<b=
r>
&gt; =C2=A0<br>
&gt; .checkpatch.conf =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0README =C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0doc =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
net<br>
&gt; .git =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0api =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0drivers =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0onenand_ipl<br>
&gt; .gitignore =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0arch =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0dts =C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0post<br>
&gt; COPYING =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0board =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
examples =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://rules.mk" rel=3D"noreferrer" targ=
et=3D"_blank">rules.mk</a><br>
&gt; CREDITS =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0boards.cfg =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0fs =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0scripts<br>
&gt; MAINTAINERS =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0common =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0include =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0snapshot.commit<br>
&gt; MAKEALL =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://config.mk" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer" target=3D"_blank">config.mk</a> =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0lib =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0spl<br>
&gt; Makefile =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0cros =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
mkconfig =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0test<br>
&gt; PRESUBMIT.cfg =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0disk =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0nand_spl =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=
tools<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; and I should do : make and make install ? and the file I need,u-boot.b=
in will be generated ?=C2=A0<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I didn&#39;t find any pre made configuration file inside :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; u-boot-vos # find . -type f -name &quot;exynos*&quot;=C2=A0<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ./include/exynos-fb.h<br>
&gt; ./include/configs/exynos5-common.h<br>
&gt; ./doc/device-tree-bindings/spi/exynos-spi.txt<br>
&gt; ./doc/device-tree-bindings/usb/exynos-usb.txt<br>
&gt; ./drivers/power/exynos-tmu.c<br>
&gt; ./drivers/power/exynos-cpufreq.c<br>
&gt; ./drivers/video/exynos-fb.c<br>
&gt; ./drivers/spi/exynos_spi.c<br>
&gt; ./board/samsung/dts/exynos5250-spring.dts<br>
&gt; ./board/samsung/dts/exynos5250-smdk5250.dts<br>
&gt; ./board/samsung/dts/exynos5250-snow.dts<br>
&gt; ./board/samsung/dts/exynos5250-daisy.dts<br>
&gt; ./arch/arm/include/asm/arch-exynos5/exynos-cpufreq.h<br>
&gt; ./arch/arm/include/asm/arch-exynos5/exynos-tmu.h<br>
&gt; ./arch/arm/dts/exynos5250.dtsi<br>
&gt; ./arch/arm/dts/exynos-periph-id.dtsi<br>
&gt; ./arch/arm/cpu/armv7/exynos5/exynos_cache.c=C2=A0<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; u-boot-vos # find . -type f -name &quot;arndale*&quot;<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; For sure I can&#39;t use a newer version of u-boot because otherwise t=
he patches needed to bypass the bootloader protections<br>
&gt; of the Arm Chromebook (such as a lot of different patches needed to bo=
ot correctly Linux) will be broken ; anyway,since<br>
&gt; it works,I don&#39;t need to use an updated version of u-boot.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ----&gt; As per my experience, you have to respect these two options, =
compiling u-boot for<br>
&gt; FreeBSD:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob=
/main/sysutils/u-boot-master/files/FreeBSD_Fragment" rel=3D"noreferrer" tar=
get=3D"_blank">https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob/main/sysutils/=
u-boot-master/files/FreeBSD_Fragment</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It says that I should use these parameters :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; CONFIG_ARMV7_NONSEC=3Dn<br>
&gt; CONFIG_EFI_GRUB_ARM32_WORKAROUND=3Dy<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; These are the parameters used to configure a Linux kernel. I don&#39;t=
 understand what&#39;s the relation between the compilation<br>
&gt; of a linux kernel and u-boot. In the past I tried to recompile u-boot,=
but I didn&#39;t have the need to set up those<br>
&gt; parameters,so I don&#39;t know how to do it (but I know how to recompi=
le a Linux kernel).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ---&gt; I&#39;m not sure that I&#39;m getting you right, as I don&#39;=
t understand what you mean under &quot;the first u-boot&quot;.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I&#39;m talking about first u-boot because the whole procedure to boot=
 Linux on the ARM Chromebook,that&#39;s explained here :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.virtualopensystems.com/en/solutions/guides/kvm-o=
n-chromebook/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.virtualopens=
ystems.com/en/solutions/guides/kvm-on-chromebook/</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; at some point they say :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; To be able to run KVM on ARM platforms, the kernel has to be booted in=
 hypervisor mode. Because of this relatively recent<br>
&gt; requirement (due to the introduction of the virtualization extensions)=
, up until now all booting methods would boot the<br>
&gt; kernel in the standard Supervisor mode.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; For the ARM Chromebook the default boot procedure doesn&#39;t allow us=
 to boot in hypervisor mode. Although the laptop&#39;s boot<br>
&gt; mechanism is based on the frequently used u-boot, the binary is locate=
d in RO memory. Fortunately, a chained u-boot<br>
&gt; mechanism can be used (i.e. starting another u-boot after the original=
). We can then enter hypervisor mode from our<br>
&gt; custom iteration of u-boot and subsequently load our kernel and usersp=
ace.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So,the first u-boot is the u-boot provided by virtual open systems,tha=
t&#39;s able to chainload the &quot;u-boot binary located in<br>
&gt; RO memory&quot; , that does not boot Chrome OS in hypervisor mode. We =
don&#39;t need it if we want to boot Linux with kvm or xen<br>
&gt; enabled.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 1:28=E2=80=AFAM Stanislav Silnicki &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:stanislav.silnicki@mailgate.us" target=3D"_blank">stanislav.siln=
icki@mailgate.us</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I&#39;m not an expert in the topic, I only k=
now, that ARM has divided hardware into two worlds - Secure and<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Not-So, strictly limiting any software, runn=
ing in non-secure world with access to functions and<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0resources.=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://developer=
arm.com/documentation/den0013/d/Security/TrustZone-hardware-architecture?la=
ng=3Den" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://developer.arm.com/doc=
umentation/den0013/d/Security/TrustZone-hardware-architecture?lang=3Den</a>=
&gt; <br>
&gt; I&#39;m not sure, that I&#39;m getting you right, as I don&#39;t under=
stand what you mean under &quot;the first u-boot&quot;.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; As I understand, virtualization (HYP) is running in non-secure world(<=
a href=3D"https://developer.arm.com/documentation/ddi0406/c/System-Level-Ar=
chitecture/The-System-Level-Programmers--Model/The-Virtualization-Extens" r=
el=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://developer.arm.com/documentation=
/ddi0406/c/System-Level-Architecture/The-System-Level-Programmers--Model/Th=
e-Virtualization-Extens</a><br>
&gt; ions), so my guess (only guess!!!), virtualization software has to pre=
pare (configure) HW platform in the way,<br>
&gt; that FreeBSD kernel will not lack any resources, required to configure=
 MPU, VA, etc.<br>
&gt; So, if you lucky to boot virtualizer, which is aware of target OS, tha=
t maybe you can boot the kernel. Although, I<br>
&gt; doubt, that you need to boot &#39;second&#39; u-boot to boot the kerne=
l - there is simply ubldr, which you can hook somehow<br>
&gt; from virtualizer....<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Stan<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Mario Marietto wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0---&gt; As I understand, it makes sure that =
u-boot keeps in secure mode during boot and passes control to<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0ubldr, which boots FreeBSD kernel, in that m=
ode.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Can you elaborate your sentence more ? I know that the bootloader secu=
re mode is bypassed by the virtual open<br>
&gt; systems u-boot. Are you saying that when the control passes to the sec=
ond u-boot,it will happen in secure<br>
&gt; mode,so that the bypass that happened loading the first u-boot,is annu=
lled ? If this is true,maybe can I boot<br>
&gt; FreeBSD using the virtual-open-system custom u-boot ? Is this compatib=
le with FreeBSD ? Where can I find the<br>
&gt; u-boot.bin that the xen developer talked about ? thanks bro&#39;.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 12:35=E2=80=AFAM Stanislav Silnicki &lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:stanislav.silnicki@mailgate.us" target=3D"_blank">stanislav.sil=
nicki@mailgate.us</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Hi Mario,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; U-Boot=C2=A0 beast is hiding in this den: <a href=3D"https://source.de=
nx.de/u-boot/u-boot.git" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://sourc=
e.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot.git</a><br>
&gt; I took a brief look at your post and it seems to me, that option=C2=A0=
CONFIG_CMO_BY_VA_ONLY=C2=A0is irrelevant to<br>
&gt; your target armv7 32 bit<br>
&gt; platform:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/=
master/arch/arm/cpu/armv8/Kconfig?ref_type=3Dheads#L3" rel=3D"noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/arch/ar=
m/cpu/armv8/Kconfig?ref_type=3Dheads#L3</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; As for compiling the u-boot, it is a doable task, given that you under=
stand what you are doing. There<br>
&gt; are no specific options in u-boot devoted to FreeBSD. It is a boot loa=
der, whose mission to make basic<br>
&gt; hardware initialization, read you kernel file from some media into RAM=
 and then pass it control.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Basically, you can grab some defconfig, prepared for any other Exynos5=
250 based board=C2=A0 (say, this one:<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/configs/=
arndale_defconfig?ref_type=3Dheads" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tps://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/configs/arndale_defconfig?=
ref_type=3Dheads</a>) and adopt<br>
&gt; it somehow.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; As per my experience, you have to respect these two options, compiling=
 u-boot for<br>
&gt; FreeBSD:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob=
/main/sysutils/u-boot-master/files/FreeBSD_Fragment" rel=3D"noreferrer" tar=
get=3D"_blank">https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob/main/sysutils/=
u-boot-master/files/FreeBSD_Fragment</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; As I understand, it makes sure, that u-boot keeps in secure mode durin=
g boot and passes control to<br>
&gt; ubldr, which boots FreBSD kernel, in that mode. Otherwise, there a lot=
 of surprises you may realize.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hope, this will help to progress you tasks<br>
&gt; Stan<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Mario Marietto wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Hello.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I&#39;m trying to boot FreeBSD for arm32 bit=
 as DomU on my ARM Chromebook. Basically there are<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0two ways to accomplish this task :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A01) to write a patch that allows the FreeBSD =
kernel to boot as a zImage file. This could be<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0accomplished applying this patch to a specif=
ic file that&#39;s on the source code of FreeBSD :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=
=3Dp...8;hb=3D0782e25d98cc1391472717035f986c979edef0c9" rel=3D"noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=3Dp...8;hb=3D0782e25d98=
cc1391472717035f986c979edef0c9</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0This patch was written by Julien Grall a lot=
 of time ago and now it does not work anymore.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0This is the reason :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0It appears FreeBSD-CURR=
ENT removed the last step converting the kernel file to<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0kernel.bin. The patch c=
an be readily rebased, but without kernel.bin that<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0doesn&#39;t do too much=
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So,without a rebase of that patch the first option is not applicable. =
And I&#39;m not able to fix it.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 2) booting FreeBSD using U-Boot,as explained to me by a xen developer =
:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I was trying to explain why and how Julien&#=
39;s patch works so that you could be the one<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0to re-do something similar or fix the patch =
on the FreeBSD kernel that you are<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0working with. I am happy to help review and =
write patches but I don&#39;t work with the<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0FreeBSD kernel so I wouldn&#39;t be able to =
help you quickly. However, I might have a<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0suggestion. Do you know if FreeBSD can be bo=
oted by U-Boot ? Because U-Boot<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0definitely boots as Xen on ARM guest firmwar=
e/bootloader. You should be able to build<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0U-Boot and use the U-Boot binary as Xen gues=
t kernel, then U-Boot could load FreeBSD<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0from disk or network and start it. For insta=
nce as domU config file:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0kernel=3D&quot;/home/petalinux/u-boot.bin&qu=
ot;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0disk =3D [ &#39;/home/petalinux/test.img,raw=
,xvda&#39; ]<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I know it is important to build u-boot with =
the following config to make it work on<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Xen.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0CONFIG_CMO_BY_VA_ONLY=3Dy<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This option seems more doable to me according to my knowledge. But I n=
eed to understand how to do<br>
&gt; it.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Well,let&#39;s say that on the ARM Chromebook I&#39;m forced to use an=
d install a customized version of<br>
&gt; u-boot,created by virtual open systems,because it is the only one that=
 allows bypassing its<br>
&gt; bootloader protection. You can find more information here :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.virtualopensystems.com/en/solutions/guides/kvm-o=
n-chromebook/?vos=3Dtech" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.v=
irtualopensystems.com/en/solutions/guides/kvm-on-chromebook/?vos=3Dtech</a>=
&gt; <br>
&gt; This is the relevant section to read :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Bootloader :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0If you wish to skip this chapter you can dow=
nload a pre-compiled binary of the<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0bootloader:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ wget<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"http://www.virtualopensystems.com=
/downloads/guides/kvm_on_chromebook/nv_u-boot-snow.kpart" rel=3D"noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.virtualopensystems.com/downloads/guides/kvm_=
on_chromebook/nv_u-boot-snow.kpart</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0To be able to run KVM on ARM platforms, the =
kernel has to be booted in hypervisor<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0mode. Because of this relatively recent requ=
irement (due to the introduction of the<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0virtualization extensions), up until now all=
 booting methods would boot the kernel in<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0the standard Supervisor mode. For the ARM Ch=
romebook the default boot procedure<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0doesn&#39;t allow us to boot in hypervisor m=
ode. Although the laptop&#39;s boot mechanism is<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0based on the frequently used u-boot, the bin=
ary is located in RO memory. Fortunately,<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0a chained u-boot mechanism can be used (i.e.=
 starting another u-boot after the<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0original). We can then enter hypervisor mode=
 from our custom iteration of u-boot and<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0subsequently load our kernel and userspace.<=
br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Checkout the needed u-boot code :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ git clone git://<a href=3D"http://github.c=
om/virtualopensystems/u-boot.git$" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">git=
hub.com/virtualopensystems/u-boot.git$</a> cd u-boot$<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0./scripts/build.sh<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0If successful, a message about how to copy t=
he bootloader on the USB flash disk or SD<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0card will appear. We will use it later when =
preparing the boot medium to start our<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0system. If you have followed the Setting up =
the boot medium chapter and you have a<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0prepared boot device, then you can update u-=
boot by running :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ sudo dd if=3Dnv_uboot-snow.kpart of=3D/dev=
/sdX1<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; so,the needed u-boot that we must use should be installed on the first=
 partition of the sd card.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; There is another relevant section to read :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Setting up the boot medium<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Now it is time to copy all the relevant file=
s that we created in the previous<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0chapters,and use them to boot Chromebook wit=
h a different kernel and OS. In all these<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0examples the device /dev/sdX is used. Take e=
xtra care to change the examples to the<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0device that you have attached. Insert the bo=
ot medium on your workstation and<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0carefully execute the following step. First =
we need to properly format the boot<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0medium.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0In the uboot source directory :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ sudo ./scripts/sdcard.sh /dev/sdX<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0This will erase all data and create 4 partit=
ions in the medium, along with copying<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0the u-boot binary to the first partition:<br=

&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Partition 1 =3D ChromeOS signed binary (V.O.=
S chained u-boot)<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Partition 2 =3D not used<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Partition 3 =3D EXT2 partition for u-boot fi=
les (uImage and exynos5250-snow.dtb)<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Partition 4 =3D EXT4 partition for userspace=
 files<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0With u-boot being copied, next is the kernel=
 image and DTB file. From the kernel<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0source execute :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ mkdir ../mnt/<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ sudo mount /dev/sdX3 ../mnt/<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ sudo cp arch/arm/boot/uImage ../mnt/<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ sudo cp arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5250-snow.=
dtb ../mnt/<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ sudo umount /dev/sdX3<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Finally, we have to copy the Ubuntu userspac=
e filesystem that we created earlier:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0$ sudo mount /dev/sdX4 mnt/$ sudo cp -a ./pr=
ecise/* mnt/$ sudo umount /dev/sdX4<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Now,my idea is to chainload the already chain loaded u-boot created by=
 V.O.S to the new u-boot<br>
&gt; that we need for booting FreeBSD and that can be installed in the part=
ition n.2,as shown in this<br>
&gt; scheme,because it is not used :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Partition 1 =3D ChromeOS signed binary (V.O.S chained u-boot)<br>
&gt; Partition 2 =3D not used (maybe we can install the u-boot for arm 32 b=
it,compatible with FreeBSD on<br>
&gt; this partition)<br>
&gt; Partition 3 =3D EXT2 partition for u-boot files (uImage and exynos5250=
-snow.dtb)<br>
&gt; Partition 4 =3D EXT4 partition for userspace files<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Take in consideration that default boot string is hardcoded here,in th=
e snow.h file of the custom<br>
&gt; u-boot created by VOS :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://github.com/virtualopensyste...18a39b6c177dff58a/inc=
lude/configs/snow.h#L101" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://gith=
ub.com/virtualopensyste...18a39b6c177dff58a/include/configs/snow.h#L101</a>=
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; and it needs to be recompiled because it should point to the partition=
 n.2,where I will install<br>
&gt; the u-boot files as explained here :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Chromebook" rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Chromebook</a><br>;
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I have some questions to ask before I start working on this.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 1) The xen developer said :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0You should be able to build U-Boot and use t=
he U-Boot binary as Xen guest kernel...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; where is the u-boot binary,according to this document ?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Chromebook" rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Chromebook</a><br>;
&gt; <br>
&gt; I don&#39;t see it.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 2) where is the source code of the file that I can get here :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromeos-localmirro=
r/distfiles/nv_uboot-snow-simplefb.kpart.bz2" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"=
_blank">http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromeos-localmirror/distfi=
les/nv_uboot-snow-simplefb.kpart.bz2</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I need the source code if I want to recompile u-boot so that it can po=
int to the partition 4.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Maybe it can be found on this link :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://linux-exynos.org/dist/chromebook/nv_uboot/" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://linux-exynos.org/dist/chromebook/nv_ubo=
ot/</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; but it can&#39;t be opened....<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 3) in this specific scenario the source code of u-boot should run on a=
rm 32 bit,not on arm<br>
&gt; 64,because I have the Samsung Chromebook &quot;SNOW&quot; model XE303C=
12,that&#39;s powered by a Samsung Exynos<br>
&gt; 5250 (ARMv7 32 bit Cortex A15) Soc.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 4) I&#39;m not sure if I can chainload the customized u-boot created b=
y V.O.S that should be<br>
&gt; installed on the first partition with the u-boot tailored for booting =
FreeBSD that should be<br>
&gt; installed on the partition 2....<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 5) the xen developer said that u-boot should be compiled enabling this=
 option :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Code:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; CONFIG_CMO_BY_VA_ONLY=3Dy<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Well,can you provide some good source that can help me to understand h=
ow I can recompile u-boot<br>
&gt; for FreeBSD ? thanks.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; --<br>