Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 11:56:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A question on pcnfsd

I am evaluating a shareware NFS client for PC (it's called XFS),
using FreeBSD as a server, and have come across a problem:

if the client authenticates as root (UID 0), then it can mount the
filesystem exported by the server, otherwise the mount fails. This
behaviour is different from what I experience using Linux as a server.

I have temporarily overcome the problem by modifying pcnfsd and
returning a fake uid (0) once the client has authenticated properly;
but this is not completely satisfactorily.

If that matters, requests coming from the client use pcnfsd v.1
protocol.

Any explainations, and possible fixes (I think the problem has to
do with mountd).

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/