Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:07:22 +0200
From:      "Marcel.lautenbach" <freebsd@xtsy.de>
To:        Olivier Gautherot <ogautherot@freesurf.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing the shell and editor

Guten Tag Olivier Gautherot,

am Donnerstag, 26. August 2004 um 10:30 schrieben Sie:

OG> Hi Marcel!

>>hi again,
>>
>>well, i've tried a bit playin with the /etc/master.passwd, adduser,
>>vipw an so on.
>>
>>now i use the bash shell. but, i am not able to change my enviroment
>>variables anymore. trying "set EDITOR emacs" did not work. when ich
>>echo my editor variable, it is empty. though i have changed my shell
>>back to csh in the /etc/master.password file, when i log on i still
>>use the bash.
>>
>>rebooting the system or kill -1 1 didn't do any good. i am getting
>>confused now a bit. acually changes in the master.passwd file should
>>take effect in any case, shouldn't they?
>>
>>pleas help.
>>

OG> Just a dumb question: did you try logging out and back in?
OG> You need to do that to refresh for sure your environment
OG> (reboot not necessary: it's not Windows :-) ).

OG> Also, if you use the bash/csh command "set", it will affect only
OG> the current shell. Nested invocations won't be affected.
OG> Try "setenv" in csh or "export" in bash.

OG> Hope it helps
OG>     Olivier

hi folks,

well, problem is solved. i tried the export in bash.

i was just wondering why there was nothing in my $SHELL or $EDITOR
variabel when using the set. export worked.

nevertheless i tend to stick with vipw and chsh. they are rather good,
for me personal. and, vipw rewrites the database for the
password-file. so, it's kind of secure :-)

and i think i will store my little changes in the bash-profile :-)

so, thanks all for your help :-)