Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:22:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a reseller program?

> I don't consider myself a FreeBSD expert, but I am interested in hearing
> about the request.  Did they give any guidelines, an outline, etc for the
> project?  Any specific size range, target audience, etc?

The book is "Learning FreeBSD in 21 days" and would be part of the
standard 21 day series that SAMS has been publishing forever.
Basically, assumes no previous skill with Unix but attempts to get the
user fairly productive with a wide variety of tools, from Apache to X,
and facile enough with the OS that an "advanced" book would be a
reasonable follow-on purchase.  Yes, they want one of those too, but
one project at a time! :-)

Anyone truly and honestly interested in authoring (as part of a 2-3
person team) this should now contact me since the very next step will
be you talking with the publisher and signing a contract.  In other
words, only truly serious people need apply.  Even if you're
"serious", don't just jump into this without considering the time
factors.  If you don't have at least 3-4 hours a day to invest for the
next 90 days or so, there's no way in hell you're going to be able to
contribute meaningfully to a 600 page general reference guide and your
partners in this effort, whomever they are, will grow to hate you for
making them work 8 hour days instead.  It is both a plus and a minus
with SAMS that they bring books to market VERY quickly.  Once the
clock starts ticking, you literally have 90 days to finish the book
(which is why this is a team effort rather than an individual one) and
the publisher *will* start beating you over the head with a very thick
newspaper if you're late - they work to very aggressive editing and
artwork schedules there and the authors aren't permitted to slack at
all.  Like I said, only truly serious people need apply. :)

On the brighter side, anyone looking to get their name in lights (as
well as the royalty checks) in a very short period of time could do a
lot worse than to jump aboard this book project.  It would also,
needless to say, be very good for FreeBSD to be able to have such a
book come out in 1999 rather than 2000 (or later).

- Jordan