Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 1995 12:26:17 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@csn.net
Subject:   Re: Preformatted man pages and 2.1.0-950928-SNAP

>>The cat directories belong to user "man".  It's one of the stranger
>>things that all our cat dirs magically disappear (or are being
>>transfered to somebody else) in all our recent releases.

>on my 950922-SNAP almost all belong to bin.  so i assume the proper
>fix is to leave /usr/bin/man owned by user man, and change the
>ownership of all the /usr/share/man/*, /usr/local/man/*, etc, files
>to man...

Run `mtree -d -f /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist' and
`mtree -d -f /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist' to check the ownerships and
permissions.  Run `mtree -d -u -f /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist' and
`mtree -d -f /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist' to fix them.  There was
apparently a bug in the SNAP for the build process to not do this
automatically or for the installation to lose the ownerships.

Bruce