Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 10:24:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS server problems on 3.4-S, any interest?

:	I have two machines at home, one running 3.4-Stable which is my
:firewall/natd/file server machine. The other is running 5.0-Current
:(around 5/8 right now) which mounts a whole bunch of stuff via amd from
:the 3.4 machine. Up until say... 2 months ago, this worked really well.
:I never had any nfs performance problems. One of the things I mount for
:example is /usr/src, and my make world time didn't suffer much, if at
:all.
:
:	However, at some point about 2 months ago (I wish I had a more definite
:time period, but the problem has kind of snuck up on me) I have been
:getting increasingly bad performance from the nfs mount. I get "nfs
:...
:Doug

    First, make sure the 5.x machine is up to date.

    Second, start looking for network problems, because if you are getting
    'host not responding' errors it's probably due to packet loss somewhere.
    NFS is particularly sensitive to packet loss.  This doesn't sound like
    an NFS problem on the face of it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>