Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 19:12:06 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        chat list <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux faster thasn FreeBSD

> I  think John Dyson once said that you had to have at least the same swap
> space as memory in your box. So your observation is absolutely logical.
>
> I thought the same once, but nothing irregular has ever happened on my
> home box. I only have 12M and although my box ran out of processes
> while building three ports at the same time, it has never really falled
> back.

I once was running with no swap. Figured a 48M text-only machine didn't
need it. But then I ran out of memory on a plain old "make world" and
have made sure that I have at least *some* swap ever since.

On the 48M system I had a 16M unused partition reserved for swap, just
forgot to use it. Solved my "make world" problem but I never saw more
than 400k swapped. And never thought the core memory was all that busy.
Apparently some kind of memory eating race occured.

These days I'm down to 32M core and up to 64M swap. Good Old X11R6... :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net