Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 02:12:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Matt and Shelly Stephenson <msteph@chorus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem?

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Matt and Shelly Stephenson wrote:

> i'm new to this list...i apologize if this is a repeat question.
>i'm looking for a recommendation for an external 56K modem that works
>well with FreeBSD.  thanks.

I've been buying the Zoom 56K (Model 2949) modems recently...  I have a
bunch of different styles, and the Zooms seem to be able to connect with
"more stuff" without problems...  (I regularly make calls to 3/12/2400 bps
devices, in addition to the normal 33.6/56K calls - about 300 calls per
day per modem total, plus the relatively few incoming calls they receive.)

And they have more lights on them than most other modems - both red AND
green LEDs!  :)  (Always an important factor in selecting a piece of
hardware.)

mike