Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:41:59 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Jon Paterson <jpaterson@itchannel.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Correct sequence for keeping a 4.1 system stable.

Jon Paterson wrote:

> If these seem like trivial questions please do not flame me, I have never
> attempted to do this before and do not want to damage a working system!
>
> As far as I have researched I need to perform the following actions:
>
> 1 get the up to date source (using one of the cvs tools)
>
> 2. make buildworld
>
> 3. make installworld
>
> 4. run mergemaster.
>
> 5. rebuild kernel ???????
>
> 6. reboot (and pray!)

You need to read /usr/src/UPDATING. It will let you run an
installworld before you do a buildkernel but the section on updating
4.x to 4.x-stable suggests the sequence

make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL
make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL

in between the buildworld and the installworld. YOUR_KERNEL is your
kernel config file. I don't have to boot to single user mode before I
run my installworld. That isn't always the case.

Kent

> is this correct or have I missed something out?  I assume that the src from
> the updates are for the system only, and not any changes to any of the
> ports.  Do I / can I keep the ports up to date also? or is this a bad idea?
>
> do I need to "clean" after the install to clear all the temporary files?
>
> thankyou for any advice you can offer.
>
> regards,
>
> Jon Paterson.

Kent Stewart