Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:38:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sunil@cc.gatech.edu (Sunil Upendra Khaunte)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TTCP based web client/server

> Is anyone aware of a TTCP based web client/server implementation?
> If Yes,can someone provide some information on the application
> level protocol used? Has some optimisation of the HTTP code been
> done to complement the TTCP advantage?

HTTP 1.1 supports "Keep alive" connections, where the connection to
a particular host is left up for some time window for subsequent
requests to the same server host.

The client signals "Keep alive" in the request header, and the server
leaves the connection up pending additional requests, if it recognizes
the option.

This requires the server to correctly set the "Content-length" in reply
documents to signal "end of document" to the client (rather than just
closing the connection).

For more information on "Keep alive", see:

	R. Fielding, H. Frystyk, T. Berners-Lee
	"Hypertext transfer protocol - HTTP/1.1"
	November 22, 1995
	http://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-02.txt

Yes, I *do* keep track of *everything*.  8-).

Ask me about a WebNFS(tm) prototype for FreeBSD if you want to hear
lots of complaints about the existing VFS/VOP framework.  ;-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.