Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 13:03:03 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Robin Melville <robmel@innotts.co.uk>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, Hans Zuidam <hans@brandinnovators.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org, cmott@srv.net
Subject:   Re: Bus Errors

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Robin Melville wrote:

> At 1:29 am +0100 11/2/97, J Wunsch wrote:
>
> >No.  Unix hasn't been developed on the m68k. :-)  It's been developed
> >on the PDP-11.
>
> <Sigh> how I miss that multi-coloured rainbow of bit keys we used to boot
> the PDP11... That's what a real computer shd. look like, not these grey
> bricks we get these days...

I just ran across a nice article about the preservation of computer
history in the DTJ (DEC Technical Journal). I don't have the URL handy but
you should be able to find it in DEC's site (somewhere under
http://www.digital.com/info/DTJ). It's about their Australian subsidary
preserving ancient PDPs in working condition, including not just the
PDP-11, but also the PDP-8 and weirdoes such as the PDP-10 and PDP-15.

> Wistfully
>
> Robin.

Nadav