Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 21:53:08 +0100
From:      Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftp

Am 02.02.2001 um 15:16:13 schrieb Matt Heckaman:

Hi Matt,

> : Another way is to use wu-ftpd, and "man ftpaccess"
>
> Otherwise known as root-exploits-R-us :)

I have been looking for a rather secure ftp-daemon. At the moment I am
using proftpd because I really need the virtual-user feature. With this
I can avoid the transmission of system-passwords via ftp. Any user is a
pseudo-uid in the proftpd users file. This is - in my opinion - a really
good thing for ftp because so you can keep you system users/passwords secret.
Anyway I would appreciate it a lot if I could switch to the normal FreeBSD
ftpd. Is there one way to get something like the virtual proftpd users
to run with ftpd?

thanks in advance

/ch