Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:54:10 -0400
From:      John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mysql connection through ssl tunnel

I have two FreeBSD machines. One is a application server, the other a
database server running mysql. These machines are in two different
locations. I'd like to allow the application server to access mysql
through an SSH tunnel.

Being a newbie admin, I've never set up an SSH tunnel. I've been
reading about them all morning and (as always) there seems to be more
than one way to skin this cat.

I'm looking for ease of set up and maintenance, as well as security
(which I assume is a given.) I'd prefer NOT to have to recompile the
kernels (pure cowardice... the application server is a production
server that I don't want to experiment with.) Both servers have OpenSSL.

Any recommendations, much appreciated.

Thanks: John