Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 00:11:40 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Release stability (fwd)

As Mark Hittinger wrote:

> In the old DEC world there was a three piece cycle that was followed
> many times.  A feature release followed by a robustness release.  There
> was also a performance release that followed the robustness release.

I don't think we'll have the (personal) resources for this.  It would
require to work on two (or more) tagged trees simultaneously.  The
main development needs to continue in order to get new features in,
since they require testing by more than only a couple of `inventors'.
This is contradictionary (sp?) to the `bug fix only' issue, so the bug
fixes will have to be done in a branch tree.  That's the usual way
during the alpha/beta phase of a release, but it requires way more
efforts to get the bugfixes back into the regular tree.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/