Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:26:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
To:        etonumo@eto.ericsson.se (Ulltveit-Moe  Nils)
Cc:        simons@rhein.de, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fax

> This is probably not implemented.

No, it is not implemented.

> Implementing G3 fax in ISDN would mean simulating an analog modem
> on the digital link. This means having to generate the right waveforms
> for the modulated data, and receive analog data from the other end
> which you had to run FFT analysis on and then interpret.

Probably not an FFT, a simple IIR filter might do (but I'm not good
enough in signal proccessing to be sure)

> In addition you have to do this in realtime, to be able to deal with
> the timing involved in the fax protocol, something neither
> FreeBSD or Linux is good at in their native form..

Not that hard real time. You know, you can do this on a 486/33 running
Windows 3.1 - so you realy should be able to do this on any BSD with
a 486 or better.

I once looked at doing this (and might reconsider doing it just for
fun if I get hold of all the neccessary standards for less than a few
thousand dollars). I use an active card (with very limited on-board
resources) and would try to handle at least parts of the d/a and a/d,
if not all of the G3 protocol, on the card itself. But since you can't
easily debug there, I would first implement a pure kernel based version.

Anyway, your real point "use dedicated hardware" is correct. That's why
I have a paper fax now.

Martin