Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:20:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Chris Bura <chris@main.Netcorps.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Chris Bura wrote:

> So then we upgraded to the new version of Apache.  This ones actually has
> a function where you can turn hostname resolving on or off.  We turned it
> on, and nothing.  Only IP addresses.
>
> We installed the same Apache on another server that wasn't handling virtual
> domains and it resolved the name just fine.
>
> So has anybody found a similar problem?
>
> Does it have to do with the number of V hosts?  Is 125 really high?
>
> The process-wise it's definately not overloaded.

What happens if you do a nslookup x.x.x.x, on the web server, for one of
the IP addresses in the logs?

> Right now we're using the actuall domain names in the virtual server
> directives.  Should we use the IP address instead?  Would that ease the
> workload?

You are wise to use IP addresses.  If you are using a 1.2 beta, you would
also be wise to include a 'ServerName www.example.com' for each virtual
host.  1.1 will look it up on startup, but if it fails it will still keep
going.  Because of the HTTP/1.1 support in 1.2, if either the forward or
reverse lookups fail and you don't have the IP in the virtualhost
definition and a servername for that host Apache will die.

That is not the smartest behavior, since it should keep running even if
one virtual host is unusable.  I hope to get to fixing this sometime, but
probably not before 1.2.  As always, clean patches welcome.