Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:10:02 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about glob patch (ftp exploit)

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 02:32:21AM -0500, default013 - subscriptions wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> (thanks for the help with the last one, one more... :)
>
> Okay, I attempted to setup the patch for the glob ftp exploit and it failed
> when I tried to make/install it... I got various responses regarding why
> this happened, and the one that makes the most sense to me is that it will
> probably work if I just make buildworld instead.
>
> My question is... I am on a FreeBSD 4.1 box... does the output of this
> patching look normal? I would have assumed it to patch a bit cleaner... I'm
> just a little afraid that maybe the patch didn't take right for some
> reason... (I did follow the current instructions from the security advisory.
> Thanks again.

Since there were no rejected chunks, yes, it did patch cleanly.
The offsets were the result of lines added/removed from the files
in question between 4.1 and 4.3.  There was even one chunk which
applied with a 'fuzz' (one or more context line were not exactly
the same), but apparently the rest of the context was the same,
and the lines changed were exactly the same, so there's no cause
for alarm.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.