Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 04:51:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jacob Suter <jsuter@bsd.intrastar.net>
To:        Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Cc:        Global Internet Shopping Mall <gism@isot.isot.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USR Not reset

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Steve Reid wrote:

> We've been using a pair of 14.4k Cardinal internal modems in our BBS here
> at EDM, and they've been running fine for years. We've decided to use
> Cardinal 28.8k externals (which I think are upgradeable to 33.6) to set up
> a modem pool for the ISP we're starting here. They're not very expensive.
> We'll know in a month or two if the 28.8k Cardinals hold up as well as the
> old 14.4k.

I have 10 Cardinal 28.8k externals here.  I have had trouble with the
power supplies before I got them on my UPS (I had two different modems
get "stuck" offhook).  I have noticed they connect considerably better on
my rather low quality lines than some Sportsters that I have tested.  I
currently have a Courier V.everything external here that I am testing,
and it connects a little better (one "step" higher than the Cardinals on
the same line and source), but its generally not enough to worry about,
as the cardinals auto-rate up generally after your connection (something
that the Sportsters REFUSED to do, if anything they'd go down).

I have 8 of the Cardinals on a Livingston portmaster (nearly 5 months),
and two on a Cyclades card out of my FreeBSD machine (Soon to be 4).

The cardinals now come in 33.6k flavors, which I have not tested.  9 of
my 10 modems are "software upgradable" to V.34+, but I have not really
found a reason to bother as they are working well now, and the folks that
actually do connect 28.8k are on battleship modems that don't have 33.6k
capability.

I've been considering the boca rack systems (about $150/line @ 10 lines
in a 16-line possible rack).  The cardinals are a few bucks left, and are
basically so stackable that they are as easy to take care of as a rack,
other than all the moronic little power supplies (something I am fixing
to take care of)...

Thanks
Jacob Suter
Intrastellar Internet Service