Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:31:16 +0800
From:      "Yu Guo/PEK/Lotus" <Yu_Guo@lotus.com>
To:        "Andrzej Bialecki <abial" <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-current" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installworld to /some/where/...

Just do a
     make DESTDIR=/mnt/installdir installworld

Thanks & Best Regards,
Yu Guo
Lotus Development, China PD
Tel: +86-10-68025588 ext 603
Email: yu_guo@lotus.com

                    Andrzej Bialecki
                    <abial@webgiro.com>            To:     freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
                    Sent by:                       cc:     (bcc: Yu Guo/PEK/Lotus)
                    owner-freebsd-current@F        Subject:     Installworld to /some/where/...
                    reeBSD.ORG

                    00-04-06 02:25 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to do an installworld not to / of existing system, but to,
say, subdirs somewhere, which could be mountpoints for another disk?
Something like:

/mnt/installdir/
/mnt/installdir/compat
/mnt/installdir/etc
/mnt/installdir/usr
/mnt/installdir/var
/mnt/installdir/

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking for a method to easily
clone/upgrade a bunch of servers without having to do 'make world' on all
of them. I'm not satisfied either with using dd - the machines are not
identical, there are some bits and pieces of config specific to each
machine. So far the best method was to do a make world, but it becomes
more and more a nuisance and waste of time...

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----