Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 23:19:14 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logging pppd connect & disconnect

> > > Is there any way to log when users connect and disconnect with pppd?
> >
> > Sure, it's a piece of cake.  How do your users startup PPP?  On my box
> > they run a little shell script which is customized for each system, so
> > it would be trivial to have it append start/stop entries to a file.
>
> Um, I'm not set up like that... The users don't log in like you'd expect,
> they don't even get a login prompt. They go straight into pppd. All
> authentication is done with PAP.

Ugh, I like keeping things 'simple' so I can debug them easier, and
provide for greater flexibility.  My modems can be used for *any*
reason, including PPP accounts.  But, I'm a young 'old-timer'. :)

> If necessary, I'll hack pppd to log connects and disconnects. But that's
> something I'd rather avoid if possible, as I have a hard time trying to
> grok other people's code.

It's *really* not that bad, and the best programmers I know are folks
that have learned to gork other people's code.  You learn more that way
than in writing your own.  (It's kind of like learning a musical
instrument.  You learn alot more and become a more rounded musician when
playing with other people than in trying to do everything on your own.)

FreeBSD code is generally pretty easy to hack on.

Nate