Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:22:39 -0600
From:      RonMcCy <ron@bouncebk.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help!

Ajax Munroe wrote:

>Friends,
>
>          I have tried to install Freebsd on my laptop at least twelve times, the only problem I encounter is with xfree86. here is a quick rundown of the scenario: everything goes as planned until I reboot, then type startx and each time I get the same error message (xfree86 crashed) well, not in those exact words but you get the message. I have read as much documentation as I could as far as Freebsd and the x-window-system are concerned. here are the specs on the laptop I desperatly want to install Freebsd on:
>
>                                      IBM T21.
>                                      2647-8BU
>                                      Generic flatpanel LCD monitor 1024 X 768
>                                      8 MB video memory
>                                      Savage IX driver <(BSD detects this)
>                                      TFT-active matrix
>                                       14.1 in.
>
>         Please, If someone could just email me a little more information on how to set the specifications for X on my model I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>                                                                                      Thank you for producing FREEBSD!            ajaxmunroe@yahoo.com

You say that BSD is detecting your video card....this is good....but....
I've had problems too if the display is not set up right or the color
depth is wrong.

I've configuring Xfree through stand/sysinstall and then Configure. You
can set Vertical and Horizontal freq. there as well as color depth.

Good Luck.