Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:11:59 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Randy Smith <randys@amigo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Remote console into FreeBSD 4.1.1 boxen

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 02:02:43PM -0700, Randy Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to be able to log in to box via a serial port or the like
> to get 'console' access to the box remotely. I have several servers
> (web, mail ,etc.) co-located with my backbone provider and it really
> sucks to have to drive three hours up there just to do a fsck and the
> like. I've read the sections of the Handbook that discuss doing this
> with the serial ports but I havn't been able to get it to work. I can
> watch FreeBSD bootup but it doesn't give me a login prompt.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Is it possible to log in to a FreeBSD 4.1.1 (or higher) through a
> serial port?

Yes.

Do you have getty running on ttyd0?

Do you have a fully cabled serial cable?  If not, then DCD may not
be there; you'd have to use cuaa0 instead.

Do you kave a keyboard also plugged in?  If so, you'll have to take
steps for the kernel at boot time to direct the console to the
serial port, as it won't happen magically.

> 2) If so, has anyone setup a Lucent PM2 or other box (FreeBSD or
> whatever) to console into multiple boxes? (I ask about the PM2 because I
> just happen to have one lying around.)

Yes.  And Cisco units.

Well.  That was easy. ;)

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842