Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:32:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1.4.2p6 problems on 5.x

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Greg Lewis wrote:

> Can everybody who is having trouble with 1.4.2p6 on 5.x please try using
> libmap.conf(5) to map libkse to libc_r and see if the problems persist.
> Also, please report if this makes a difference.

Remember also that you can't use any Nvidia provided drivers and/or
libraries (OpenGL) with libkse or libthr.  If folks are having problems
make sure this is not the cause.

The other potential problem with the jdk using libkse (or even libthr)
is that other libraries installed in the system may be pulling in
libc_r.  For instance /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.  I'm not sure how
the jvm works, but if this ends up in different thread libraries
being pulled in, you can have problems.  I suggest everyone having
problems to use a libmap.conf with libc_r mapped to libkse.
Anyone that has to use NVidia supplied drivers/OpenGL, use a reverse
mapping.

> If I get a few positive reports for this I think we should shift the port
> back to using libc_r by default and libkse as an option.

libkse (libpthread) is going to be the default library very soon
now, so you should probably leave it unchanged and let us (-java,
-threads) figure out where the problems are and fix them.

Sorry, I haven't been following any of these threads lately.

--
Dan Eischen