Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:19:35 -0600
From:      nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   pop mail security

 Upon seeing the recommendation in an earlier thread for Ethereal, I
installed it from the ports and ran it.

I am _very_  impressed with this software ... ANYWAY, so i'm playing
with it, and all of a sudden i notice TCP/POP packets showing my
workstation (fbsd) logging into my server (fbsd) to check for new
mail... and right there, large as life, in PLAIN TEXT, are my username
and password.

this is not a desirable situation.  i have a general knowledge about
security but i was just naive i guess and didn't realize that my
password would be sent  in clear text.

QUESTION:  how do i rectify this so that my password is encrypted b4
sending??

i have my mail reader config'd to check for mail every 5 minutes... so
it wouldn't take a "snooper" long to see my user/pass go flying by.. and
then i could be in real trouble

TIA!!!

-nathan