Date:      Mon, 22 May 1995 11:42:44 -0700
From:      Eric.Vanbezooijen@Eng.Sun.COM (Eric van Bezooijen)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD install failure on ASUS/NCR PCI system

I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a ASUS 90 Mhz Pentium system (16 Mb RAM,
512 Kb cache), with a NCR PCI scsi card (53c810 based).

I have two drives, a Quantum 1.0 Gb and a Quantum 4.3 Gb drive.  My 1.0
Gb drive has 1 DOS partition (the whole drive).  I wanted to set up a small
(128 Mb) partition on the 4.3 Gb drive for DOS, and install FreeBSD on
the rest of the 4.3 Gb drive.

However, I cannot get FreeBSD to boot up and recognize my SCSI disks.  When
the boot sequence is setting up devices, I get the following error:

Changing root device to fd0c
sd0(ncr0:0:0); assertion "cp == np->header.cp" failed:
file "../../i386/pci/ncr.c", line 5172
ncr0 targ 0?: ERROR (80:100:29) (8/13)@ 360cc:e000000).
ncr0: restart (fatal error)
ncr0: aborting job...

After a while I get:
DOS partition I/O error

In the install menu, neither of my drives is listed.

If I disconnect my 4.3 Gb drive, FreeBSD recognises my 1.0 Gb drive fine,
and I get no errors at all.  I tried formatting the entire 4.3 Gb drive
as 1 DOS partition, I tried creating a 128 Mb DOS partition.  I also tried
swapping the drives in the SCSI chain, I tried experimenting with different
SCSI termination schemes (I still haven't figured out if the "TER" jumper
on the drives means SCSI termination, and if it does, whether or not
jumpering it means disabling or enabling SCSI termination).  I tried using
the 1 Gb drive as target 0, and the 4.3 Gb as target 1, and vice-versa.

Any clues ? I really want to make FreeBSD work! Is my hard drive too large
(4.3 Gb) ?

-Eric

"I'm a smarty everyday!"- Beanie the Cerebrally-challenged bison, Animaniacs
   Eric van Bezooijen     | "Faboo!"- Wakko Warner, Animaniacs [Warlord *THIS*]
 eric@csua.berkeley.edu   | "Oh joy of Joys!"- Stimpson J. Cat, Ren & Stimpy
eric.vanbezooijen@sun.com | "Spoon!"- The Tick [Pixies and Talking Heads rule!]