Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:14:35 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        chat@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org

A new mailing list has been established for FreeBSD users in bioscientific
fields, including bioinformatics, genomics, and all branches of computational
biology.

The aim of the list is not only to form a single point of contact for FreeBSD
users in these fields, but also to form a staging area for porting
bioscientific applications to FreeBSD.  (Just watch the "biology" category in
the ports tree during upcoming months! :-)

For reasons which I have outlined before in these lists, I think that there
is a need for a "bio-friendly" free Unix, and I would (of course) like
FreeBSD to be it.  For reasons which I have also outlined before, I think
that such a bio-friendly OS could attract significant numbers of new users.

*** YES, that is .NET, and _NOT_ .ORG! ***

The freebsd-bio list is in no way officially connected with or endorsed by
the FreeBSD project or BSDi, Inc.

To subscribe to the list, either:

- Do so via the web front-end at:

- Send the word "subscribe" in the body of an email message to
  <freebsd-bio-request@freebsd.net>

Thank you,
-- Johann