Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:25:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cliff Rowley's 'Port...' question

> > > Is there an ongoing effort to provide an actual 'Port' for the
> > > FreeBSD JDK?  If not, I'd like to make a start on one...
>
> >What's wrong with /usr/ports/java/jdk?
>

> >What version are you referring to ? There is a production-quality
> >JDK 1.1 available, and there is a beta-quality JDK 1.2, and there is
>                 		  *!====================!*
> >a almost-production-quality Linux JDK 1.2 (Blackdown RC4).
>

> The responses to Cliff Rowley's question are somewhat disappointing.  Cliff
> has posted many times to this list (I counted 7 in June).

No offense to Cliff, but I get 500 msgs/day, so remembering that Cliff
posted 7 times in June means nothing to me.

> Even if you didn't know that, and even if you didn't know that the
> content of at least _some_ of his postings concerned JDK 1.2.2,
> wouldn't it logically make sense that he is referring to JDK1.2.2?
> JDK1.1.8 and the Blackdown 1.2.2 are already ports!

Having spent close to 8 years doing FreeBSD work, I don't assume much of
anything anymore.  It saves alot of time and email traffic. :)

> Also, did I miss an announcement?  Was patchset 9 declared 'beta', or has
> patchset 10 been released? (as beta?  if so, I need to update from 9).

Not that I'm aware of.  I'm trying to get some more source code for Greg
and the rest of the gang, and my house-moving project seems to have
gotten in the way. :(

Nate