Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:01:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Danail Yordanov <d_j@vip.bg>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/42750: Fdisk makes no difference between FAT32, XFS or Ext3

>Number:         42750
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Fdisk makes no difference between FAT32, XFS or Ext3
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When starting an installation on the machine containing FAT32(no OS there - only a partition for data) and XFS (with Linux) both are shown as one, called "Extended", type 15. I have reinstalled the Linux on the Ext3, but there was the same problem. Then I have decided to delete the Linux and installed FreeBSD. Then I have tried to mount the slice with FAT32 with the following command:
mount -t msdos /dev/ad0s2 /windows
the error message was "msdos invalid argument"
Then I have seen again that filesystem on the slice was called "Extended", not msdos or anything else.
Fdisk don't recognize a FAT32 filesystem.
It seems as a lack of anything in the program fdisk.
>How-To-Repeat:
Example: a 20 GB HDD is divided into 4 GB NTFS, 5 GB FAT32, 5 GB XFS(it could be other - Ext3), 6 GB unused. If you try the same, but without a n unused space, you would not know where is FAT32 and XFS. When you insert 1st CD from FreeBSD it will not make a difference between FAT32 and XFS and will display 10 GB Extended. If you try to mount these slices (actually displayed as one) they can't be mounted.