Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:20:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Removeable media support

As Mark J. Taylor wrote:

> But, MO technology is MUCH MUCH faster than tape, and looks just like
> another SCSI hard drive.

The IMHO most important thing (that's why i plan to use some disk-type
removable media drive in near future): you have a direct access
medium.  While i still prefer making my dumps with tapes, i would go
and backup old mails, news archives etc. to removable disks.  I can
then run elm, a newsreader, or grep on the archive -- hard to do with
a tape drive, impossible to do with a cartridge tape drive. :)

Besides MO technology, Iomega's recently announced new drives (i think
the call'em ``zipdrives'') come to mind.  They provide 100 MB at a
reasonable price for the drive (much less than an 128 MB MO drive),
and with comparable medium costs.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/