Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:16:26 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Roy Dragseth <Roy.Dragseth@cc.uit.no>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG, Borge Brunes <Borge.Brunes@cc.uit.no>
Subject:   Re: Problems installing on HP rx2600.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:15:36PM +0100, Roy Dragseth wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We've got a cluster of rx2600 that we will use as a linux compute cluster, but
> a rather FreeBSD-centric colleague of mine want to test FreeBSD on it.  We're
> also interested in running a few benchmarks to see if there are any
> difference in the performance between Linux and FreeBSD, esp. regarding
> network related benchmarks.
>
> The problem is that we're unable to get the thing installed, the machine
> resets rather early in the process of loading the installation kernel.  We
> get as far as this before we get System Alertmessages on the Management
> Processor (MP):

The rx2600 is only supported with code on our development branch. The
reason is mostly that the HP chipset doesn't provide compatibility
with the i396 legacy (ISA bus, known devices at known I/O ports). This
bombs out because we still have code (sio(4) and sc(4)) that has a
rather hard dependency on it.

As for the completeness and/or stability of support: SMP does not yet
work, but an UP kernel is pretty stable. We use one for continuous
package building and it hasn't paniced yet.

I'm already in the process to create an installable ISO based on
the code on our branch for another slighlty related reason, so it
may be possible to make it more publicly available. This would
put pressure on our mirrors, so I don't want to do it gratuitously.

If people like to see such an ISO made available, please speak up.