Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:31:25 +0100
From:      "Dave J. Boers" <djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm - stutters

It is rumoured that Devin Butterfield had the courage to say:
> I too notice these problems of mpg123 skipping during disk activity or X
> graphics ops but I have always had these problems, both with -STABLE and
> -CURRENT. I notice this with xmms too. So this is nothing new.

Isn't this simply a typical issue of IDE hardware? I too notice xmms
skipping on heavy disk activity (typically the find command that runs from
cron at 01:59). This happens even though I have two processors and a disk
that can do 16 Mb/sec on UDMA66. One would expect such a system to be able
to do a find and play mp3's simultaneously.

However, AFAIK the IDE hardware typically handles only one request at a
time and handles all requests sequentially, contrary to scsi. It may thus
happen that the read requests from xmms, small as they may be, get delayed
too long and unnecessary. I'm not an expert on this, but I believe
scatter/gather is the way scsi handles this problem in hardware. Perhaps
the ata driver could be made to do something similar on the driver level.

I have experienced significantly better responsiveness during high disk
usage of much slower systems that are running with scsi disks only. In
fact, I have a 486 that has better response times (it has an EISA bus and
adaptec 2740 scsi with a disk that can do -- and does! -- 8 Mb/sec
disk->memory) than my Abit BP6 dual celeron UDMA66 system during the cron
job at 1:59.

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--