Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 12:08:27 +0000
From:      G <G.S.J.Howell@swansea.ac.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X problems:FreeBSD2.2.8R/Netscape4.5

Hi All.

I'm having a problem which is driving me bonkers.  I've just upgraded to
FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE (from 2.2.7) and to Netscape 4.5 (from 4.05).  I
had 'system now trashed' type problems doing this with cvsup, and
eventually had to use a boot disk from www.freebsd.org to do a complete
reinstallation.

Anyhow, now uname -a outputs the following:

FreeBSD cscall.swan.ac.uk 2.2.8-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE #0: Mon
Nov 30 06:34:08 GMT 1998
jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

My problem is that all the icons in Netscape are being displayed in
black and white.  There seems to be something wrong with the X system.
I've tried lots of permutations in the XFree86 configuration in
/stand/sysinstall, but to no avail.  I can get the X server to start up
ok, but it makes no difference to Netscape.  I don't know if I have to
reinstall it from the ports collection, or what.

Another program that I run, xspect, now crashes, with an error message:

Translation not implemented (bpp: 24; scrmul: 2)

This is probably very program specific, but the 'translation' bit makes
me think that this is also something to do with X.

My kdm desktop works fine.

I'm still pretty new to Unix, so I want to be careful that I don't trash
my system again.  Any helpful advice regarding this would be gratefully
appreciated.

TIA

G.

oh, btw: apologies if this message comes through as (gack) html or
something - the mail client is still a little screwy as well.