Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 11:37:39 -0700
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: savcore dump names?

Other useful pieces of functionality that savecore lost:

- The ability to not save a dump if:
  - It would completely fill up the disk (and warn if it would cause disk
    usage to go above 100%)
  - It would exceed the administrator's configured free space (i.e.
    /var/crash/minfree)
- Logging to syslog; errors and messages from the new savecore
  are likely to get lost.  I liked having things like

    Feb 11 23:19:45 stash savecore: reboot after panic: bremfree: bp 0xc302523c not locked
    Feb 11 23:19:46 stash savecore: no dump, not enough free space on device (86040 available, need 102328)

  in /var/log/messages.

There was a patch to restore the "vmcore.N" functionality posted to
-current on April 18th, and a couple of followups.  I haven't tried it
yet since the other two lost features are much more important to me.

  Bill